What is it that you are pursuing?
Better yet, what are you pursuing that has taken precedent over two of the most valuable things: Your God-given purpose, and God Himself.
That’s what this blog is all about. Passionately, humbly, and fervently chasing after the things that matter, while having some fun along the way.
When we chase after God, our vision broadens, our purpose becomes clearer to us, and we find that the little things we used to chase are either meaningless or not as important as we thought.
Why is this? Well, because we’ve chosen to put the things that truly matter first. The Bible tells us to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all of the [trivial, less important] things shall be added to us. (Matthew 6:33)
I’m convinced there’s a purpose that we are to fulfill in this life that’s far greater than ourselves. Wherever you’re at in your life and wherever you’re at in your faith, let’s start pursuing the things that matter. Passionately and fervently. Together.
About Azani, founder of The Pursuit
Zi-Zi. Zani. Zoop Zoop. Zizzle.
These are the (not-so-secret-anymore) alternative names I get called by the people closest to me. But my real name is Azani Shelise Fitten. That’s uh-zaw-nee 🙂
I’m from Wichita, KS but am livin’ the life in Kansas City, MO now. I have my Bachelor’s degree in Communication Studies from the University of Missouri – Kansas City, and I work in Human Resources, helping people grow in their careers and purpose.
I have a huge heart for traveling, writing, speaking, intercultural experiences, Chipotle and people. I reallllly love people. In a nutshell, I just want to have an impact. A positive one. I want to leave a footprint as big as a T-Rex. I don’t want to be remembered for my accomplishments, I want to be remembered for the tremendous impact I had on the lives of people and the big heart I have towards God.
The top 3 things you should know about me is this:
- I’m a real person, with real problems, real imperfections, and real insecurities. Technology & I have a love/hate relationship because it strips me of my authenticity & vulnerability. With technology, people can read my words, but they can’t see my heart… and that bothers the heck outta me.
- I want you to become all that you can. As I become my best self, I want you to become yours too. In fact, that’s the whole purpose of this blog. To connect people with their purpose as I’m pursuing my own. If you need personal career advice, encouragement or tips, I am only an email away. Please reach out, I’m here to help and serve you.
- You can talk to me. I know, we haven’t even officially met and I’m already spittin’ that game. LOL. But no really, if you need something, I’m here. Email. Comment. Message me.
My personal pursuit.
I want to tell you a little about my spiritual journey because it’s such a huge part of who I am… is that okay?
My spiritual pursuit started in 2014. Except I wasn’t the one pursuing, God was pursuing me.
I was a normal college student — doing everything many college students do (including those sins I won’t mention). I wasn’t worried about a thing! And I especially wasn’t worried about God.
In the midst of my careless lifestyle, I struggled. I struggled with self-image, thoughts of suicide, filling voids the only way I knew how. From age 12 and beyond, my life had gone into a downward spiral that I didn’t know how to get out of. Seriously. I was using everything possible to erase every bad memory, undo every bad mistake, forget how horrible (I thought) I was, and to make myself seem strong when I was really emotionally and mentally weak.
I was filled with everything the world has to offer but was still so empty.
And I mean that. I was SO empty. Alive on the outside, but completely and utterly dead and defeated on the inside.
But in the midst of it all. God was patiently but passionately pursuing me. It was that year that I discovered his love, got saved, and gave my entire heart and life over to Jesus Christ. Best decision I ever made, and I am never, ever looking back.
God pursued me. And I’m convinced He’s pursuing you, too.
That’s right. God pursues us. Passionately. Fervently. Endlessly. And lovingly. And he desires that we do the same with him.
Matthew 23:37 – “Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.”
James 4:7-8 – “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you…”
When I realized that God was waiting on me instead of me waiting on Him, my entire life shifted and my pursuit became much more than the tangible things. Now, I’m pursuing an eternity with God. As humbly and as passionately as I know how. But the pursuit didn’t stop once I found God. In fact, I’d even say it heightened…got more intense…more serious!…more incredible!!…more interesting!!! Now, my pursuit involves 4 major things:
- Loving God with everything in me (Matthew 23:37)
- Glorifying God & putting him first in all things (Psalm 115:1; Colossians 3:16-17)
- Passionately and authentically loving and blessing people (John 13:34-35; Genesis 12:2)
- Using my gifts the way that God desires for me to (Romans 12:3-8)
I’m not perfect. My goodness, nothing close to it. But guess what? I’m on a pursuit. A pursuit of a purpose that’s far greater than me.
So I’ll end with this: I love you!!!! And I hope this blog brightens your day at least a little 🙂